2.22.2008

Who Gives a F*#% About an Oxford Comma?

(Vampire Weekend, Who Gives a F*#% About an Oxford Comma?)

And what the f*#% is an "Oxford Comma" anyway? Read on.

I was all set to write a post, either tonight or tomorrow, about Vampire Weekend and their infectious (Full disclosure: I had to look up the spelling of infectious.) self-titled debut that came out last month, which I've been listening to at an alarming rate ever since getting a copy of it from a friend a few weeks ago. I was going to say that I felt a certain sense of pride in the fact that I played it for Amanda and she loved it, and that I lent it to a friend, and he loved it and he also played it for a few of our other friends and they loved it, and that made me feel like somewhat of an innovator (not unlike as described here. it's like they know me personally.). I was also going to say that despite the fact that it's only February, they were the clear front-runner for rookie of the year honors in the music community.

Then I saw this on a study break earlier this afternoon. Great article, incidentally.

So, I came home a little while ago, upset that the bastards at Spin Magazine had beaten me to my hyperbolic proclamation, and decided to write a post about how yeah, I liked them a lot, and so does everybody else, but everybody else has already written about it, and I've sort of missed the boat on this, but you know what, I'm going to write about them anyway, because they're just that interesting and good and who cares if it's all been said already.

Then I read this, literally, just 10 minutes ago.

Just not my day, I guess. But the hell with it. They're awesome. They're 4 Columbia grads who have only been playing together since their first practice less than 2 years ago. I love that their singer is Jewish (we are awesome!), and it's pretty cool that, according to the Spin article, one of the band members actually got to define the word "crunk" for the Oxford English Dictionary while interning there a few years ago. I was going to link to the definition on the OED's website, but I will be damned if I am going to pay a subscription fee just to look up the word "crunk."

Instead, here is the wikipedia page for Oxford Comma, in case anybody is interested. Turns out it's not just the title of what will probably (deservedly) be the most overplayed song of this album.