3.14.2008

Hello, I'm Sorry I LOST Myself (I Think I Thought You Were Someone Else)

(R.E.M., Pop Song 89)

Well, well, well. Looky what we have here. Michael on the boat? Check (#4). Sun off the island without Jin? Check (#7). I even called the flash-forward for Sun and flash-back for Jin last night about five minutes into the episode, the first time Jin was in the store buying the ginormous panda (why did he pay so much for that thing when all he had to do was knock down three bowling pins with a softball?), but only Amanda and Hannah can attest to that, so on their behalf, I'm going to have to say, Check. In the immortal words of Chucky, Ben Affleck's character from Good Will Hunting,


"Just cause I go to Haavaad doesn't make me a genius, although I am very smaaat."

I thought last night's episode was really good, and really sad. I don't like knowing that Jin dies sometime in the future. Looks like all those English lessons are going to end up to be an enormous waste of time. Too soon?

1. Did anybody notice the tv show that Sun was watching in the very beginning of the episode? I'm pretty sure it was that old soap opera that Nikki was on, during her flashback episode last season.

2. Jin's tombstone said 2004. This means he dies very soon. Possibly next week, which I'm not thrilled about. Bear with me. Two weeks ago, Desmond called Penny from the boat. It was Christmas Eve, 2004. The calendar on the boat was also on December 2004. I still don't think that's the real date on the island, but they may never find out (which means we may never find out) what the real date on the island is. (Maybe it's years in the past, and Ben made $3.2 million betting on the Sox to win the 2004 World Series in Vegas.) Either way, Jin dies in 2004. I didn't think about it at the time, but Hannah noticed the date last night and said it out loud. This is the last time I mention Hannah in this post.

3. Hurley in Korea? So, if Sun was two months pregnant last night and has to get off the island in three weeks before the "complications" start, then it would stand to reason that last night's flash-forward happened about 6-7 months after they get off the island (and time starts moving at a normal pace again). Now, does Hurley go crazy after this, or has he already gone on his camaro joyride, avoiding the ghost of Charlie like the plague? I would imagine that his trip to Korea was after his freakout, because he was relieved that nobody else was going to be there in Korea, but I'm not really sure about this.

4. When that note was pushed through the slats of the door to Sayid and Desmond's holding cell, I was hoping it would say something like, "Sayid, are you still mad at me? Check yes or no. Michael." Glad he's back, but everybody on that boat is some kind of creepy, possibly brought on by eating so many lima beans. I never liked them either.

5. Captain Ahab, or whatever his name is, telling them about Charles Widmore? I was expecting more of an outburst from Desmond on that one. Seriously, if I were stranded on an island for 3 years, narrowly escaping death on multiple occasions, suffering nosebleeds due to my occasional time travel, and looking like the lost member of the Bee Gees (though in my case, I'd probably look like the lost member of the rabbis who wrote the mishnah), and somebody made me eat lima beans for two days, then told me Charlie Abrams had something to do with the whole thing, let's just say that I'd be doing a little of the old freaking out. In fact, I'm a little pissed at him just thinking about it.

6. And, in closing, let me express my extreme disappointment in the writers and producers of this great show. Juliet, in her haste to be a good doctor, taking care of her patient at all costs, totally goes rogue and shatters the doctor/patient confidentiality to pieces by telling Jin about Sun's affair with the guy who looked like E.T. And they're on an island, where it rains all the time, so there's got to be plenty of mud around. See where I'm going with this? And all we get is a slap on the face? Come ON, Sun! Take her down! Show her what you're made of, your daddy's a MOB BOSS, for crying out loud! I can't even count the number of times we've seen two girls in a knock down, drag-out fight on this show. Last week, Juliet and Charlotte Staples Lewis were smacking each other with fire hydrants in the Tempest Station. Even Kate and Juliet were at each others throats in the rain last season while handcuffed together!! We couldn't even get past a slap on the face for this one??

7. Yikes, I almost forgot! The discussion about the wreckage being staged! Holy cow. I didn't think about the fact that 324 dead bodies would be needed for that. Amazing. But we've seen that before, in Daniel Faraday's flashback/flashforward, which until last night we didn't know was actually a flashback. It could have been either, but now we know. And he was crying and didn't know why, but now, with what we know about his possible time-jumps, maybe he was going a little crazy, a-la Minkowski, back in his recliner, covered with the blanket, in that flashback. And since he hadn't been to the island yet at that point (though he would go there in the future), he hadn't yet met Desmond, who would be his constant. Maybe that's why he was all upset and couldn't figure out why?

8. Man, I keep forgetting things I wanted to say and updating it after I publish. Sorry, if anybody read this and didn't get these last 2 (or 3?) items. I loved Bernard and Jin's little fishing trip. It was like Tim "the Tool Man" Taylor having family problems on Home Improvement, then talking to Wilson about it. Bernard's Wilson, in this analogy, in case anyone didn't pick up on that. Anyway, it was a very heartfelt scene, and I am doing my best to ruin the sentiment with my snarky comments. It's what I do.

9. What kind of "errand" is Lapidis running with the helicopter? Possibly on his way to Costco for another 1,000 cans of lima beans.

(PS - Thanks to Seth for the picture of Jin's tombstone.)