3.22.2008

I'm Still Asleep But I Can Hear the Piano When You Make Breakfast After 10

(Blue October, Breakfast After 10)

We slept a bit late this morning and then went to check out a new (new to us) brunch spot. The Social House, on Howell Mill, right off I-75. The food was outstanding. Amanda had a turkey and swiss omelet, which was enormous, with a side of grits and a freshly baked biscuit. I debated getting the chicken & waffles, but ultimately decided against it in favor of the Whole Farm Breakfast Sandwich (which I wish I could find a picture of, and forgot to take one). It was 2 fried eggs, 3 sausage patties, bacon strips and gouda cheese (gouda is betta), stacked triple-decker between "slices" of belgian waffle. Oh, man. It was good. I guess it was basically like a McGriddle at McDonalds, but way, way better.

The place was decorated with old-timey newspaper clippings, pictures, books on shelves, even an old bicycle hanging from the ceiling. All in all, a pretty enjoyable experience. They've got a few other menu items I'd like to go back and try, such as the aforementioned chicken & waffles, shrimp and grits (which also includes andouille sausage), and the pan seared ribeye steak & eggs. (The "waffle dog" pictured above is not on the menu, btw. If it was, well, let's just say I'd be able to tell you how it tasted.)

Unfortunately, and this is a major issue for someone with such a pronounced addiction as my own, the coffee absolutely sucks. I even asked for a fresh cup, after taking two sips of my first serving, thinking maybe it was a bad pot or something. No such luck. I couldn't even drink it, I just sipped my water and enjoyed my waffle sandwich. If they would change their coffee, I wouldn't have a bad thing to say about the place. They'd be a solid 9 out of 10 if the coffee wasn't so bad, however, as it stands now, I'd have to give their overall rating somewhere around a 6.5. That's an important factor for me.